Friday, February 6, 2009

1st film and TV post

As I was going through the readings for the film and TV module, there were many times where I would stop and think how closely an idea would relate to teaching. It was mostly during the story time readings, but also during the editing readings as well. For the story time readings, I thought about the idea of “So What?” and how it is important to think about what the students will think of the material I am presenting them. I teach freshman Algebra in the inner city to a population than has 3% of its students graduating from college. So the idea of asking “So What?” may be somewhat depressing, it is still important. Maybe it’s more important since my students will receive less education than the average student and I will not have to share their brain with as many other teachers. This means my storytelling must be even more compelling so that I can help them become successful and capable at something they will use for the rest of their lives.
I also related to the idea of being able to explain an idea in 2 sentences. Once students have attempted an idea, I like to be able to explain it as quickly and simple as possible. This will only work if they have an attachment to it, which is what I create by having the students attempt to figure out how to do something before I explain it.
During the editing article, I was struck by the idea of creating a time crunch situation and using that to make a situation more exciting and compelling. This is an idea I use in my classroom when there is a city test coming up, or just a normal test for my class. I begin reminding students about the test a week or so in advance and this week is usually when some of our best work gets done.
Also during the editing article I thought it was interesting about starting a new paragraph or section and giving viewers and understanding of this. This also happens in the classroom, as I have to make sure I announce that we are starting something new and that everyone will want to attempt the work so they can learn how to do it.

No comments: